Piano travels by covered wagon
Written by Jeannette Emerson with Goldie Saathoff providing the history
George Twyman, the owner of the local livery stable in Drexel, was asked by a traveler to put the man’s team of horses in the barn overnight. The next day when the customer was ready to pay the bill he asked if Mr. Twyman was interested in buying a piano. The man said he had too heavy a load and money was getting short. Well, Mr. Twyman bought the piano. This was around 1905.
The piano remained in the Twyman home until 1961 when it was sold at auction to a granddaughter, Goldie Saathoff of Adrian, Missouri. It remained in her home from 1961 until being brought to the WMAT&MA Pioneer Village in 1996. It had only been moved one time in 90 years! It can be seen in the Pioneer Village Museum today along with the crochet scarf made by Mrs. Ruby Twyman in the l920's and always decorating the top of the piano. It is accompanied by a round piano stool with ornate legs and round glass ball feet. The metal plaque inside the piano states it is a Lyon and Healy, made in Chicago and “Patented February 26, 1878.
Come by the museum any Saturday from 10-2 through August for a guided tour by members of the Adrian Area Historical Society. There you will see that very piano that traveled by covered wagon, was left behind by its family and was appreciated and cared for by the Twyman and Saathoff families for so many years.